City Holds Ribbon Cutting for Damron Ct.
A ribbon cutting was held today for the completion of Damron Court, a new street located off of Keller Drive that Panera Bread is located on.
Damron Court is named after former Mayor Dr. Elbert Damron, who served from 1911 to 1913. Mayor Jeff Bloemer provided a few historical remarks about him. Mayor Damron was born in Illinois in Union County on November 22, 1878. He graduated from the State Normal University at Carbondale and St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1907.
He was a veteran as he served in the Spanish-American War and he had an esteemed career as a local surgeon.
Mayor Damron also has a place in national history… as his car was stolen by legendary outlaws Bonnie and Clyde in September of 1932. Mayor Damron’s new Ford Coupe was parked at Damron Drug Store in Downtown Effingham at the corner of Banker and Jefferson. When Mayor Damron came out of the store his car was gone. After fleeing Effingham… Bonnie and Clyde abandoned the car in Pawhuska, Oklahoma. Later in the month Mayor Damron took a train out to retrieve his car.
Mayor Bloemker stated, "Damron Court represents an inroad to a sector that has perimeters of Outer Belt West and Keller Drive. It has significant commercial potential… and may play into a strategy to help alleviate traffic congestion on Keller Drive."