"The Effingham Fire Department mission is to protect life and property from loss, suffering, and damage due to fire, rescue situations, environmental and homeland security emergencies within the community, as safe as possible through public education, code management and incident response." The Effingham Fire Department at a Glance
ISO Rating - 2
Two Fire Stations
15 Full-time Firefighters
21 Part-time Firefighters
4 Administrative Staff
5 Response Vehicles
4 Staff Vehicles
Foam Trailer w/400 gals AFFF foam
Haz Mat Response Trailer
Part of Region 9 Hazardous Materials Response Team
MABAS Division 54 Member
Visit us on
Dispatch Non-Emergency Phone: (217) 342-4131
Central Fire Station
505 West Fayette Avenue
Effingham, IL 62401
Phone: (217) 342-2555
Fax: (217) 342-5496 email@example.com
7:00 am – 4:00 pm
Monday – Friday
The use of space heaters can be a source to provide additional heat but they also can be a source to causing a fire. These photos were taken in residence in our community on Friday, December 8th. Here are a few safety tips when using space heaters, especially in your homes:
Never operate a heater you suspect is damaged. Before use, inspect the heater, cord, and plug for damage. Follow all operation and maintenance instructions.
Never leave the heater operating while unattended, or while you are sleeping.
Keep combustible material such as beds, sofas, curtains, papers, and clothes at least 3 feet (0.9 m) from the front, sides, and rear of the heater.
Be sure the heater plug fits tightly into the wall outlet. If not, do not use the outlet to power the heater.
During use, check frequently to determine if the heater plug or cord, wall outlet, or faceplate is HOT! If the plug, outlet, or faceplate is hot, discontinue use of the heater, and have a qualified electrician check and/or replace the plug or faulty wall outlet(s). If the cord is hot, disconnect the heater, and have it inspected/repaired by an authorized repair person.
Never power the heater with an extension cord or power strip.
Insure that the heater is placed on a stable, level surface, and located where it will not be knocked over.
When purchasing a heater, ask the salesperson whether the heater has been safety-certified. A certified heater will have a safety certification mark.
Never run the heater’s cord under rugs or carpeting. This can damage the cord, causing it and nearby objects to burn.
To prevent electrical shocks and electrocutions, always keep electric heaters away from water, and NEVER touch an electric heater if you are wet.
If you have any questions, please call us at 217-342-2555.
We want to remind motorists that it is the law to "MOVE OVER" away from Emergency Vehicles on the scene of any incident. Our most dangerous roadway in our jurisdiction is the Interstates but equally on some of our 3, 4 or 5 lane roadways (Keller Drive/Route 32/33, Fayette Avenue/Route 40, Third Street/Route 45) within the City. Our personnel, along with local law enforcement and EMS, are working on the roadway providing assistance, extrication, or medical care to someone else. We ask that you be aware OUR PERSONNEL ARE ON THE ROAD - drive cautiously through any incident where you see our apparatus and flashing lights. PLEASE, SLOW DOWN, PROCEED CAUTIOUSLY but do so in another traveling lane other than the one we are in or near.
Thank you !
Great training tonight on Carbon Monoxide (CO) put on by Jansen's Heating & Air Conditioning at their facility in Effingham. Reviewed sources of potential causes of CO, areas to look at, means of monitoring, and recognized industry standards.
Sources of CO include: water heaters, furnaces, boilers, gas and electric ovens, fireplaces, space or portable heaters, generators, gas and charcoal grills, pool and spa heaters, idling vehicles in or near a building, and gasoline or propane powered tools.
If you suspect a CO problem in your home or business or your CO detector is sounding, NEVER HESITATE to call 9-1-1. We will investigate the levels in your home or business to include air samples with our monitors and will attempt to determine what is causing the problem......it is NOT always your furnace /HVAC that may be the cause.
If you do not have a CO detector in your home, consider purchasing one as we are entering in to the cold winter months. CO detectors are required in all residential homes (with gas appliances or attached garages) and should be mounted no lower than eye level since CO is lighter than air. If you install it at the floor level, your detector may not sound higher levels of CO until they reach the floor.
On Saturday December 2nd Squad 561, Engine 576, Chief 500, along with Abbott EMS were dispatched at 22:21 hours to a roll-over accident I 57 / I 70 northbound at the 160 mile marker. Upon arrival, a car was found in the northbound lanes of traffic facing southbound with the driver still trapped in the car. The driver was extricated and transported to St Anthony Hospital and then flown to Carle Trauma Center but later passed away. The tractor- trailer was found on its side (drivers-side) several hundred feet north of the car. The driver was pinned in the tractor cab and pronounced on scene. An extended extrication followed to extricate the driver from the cab of the tractor. Two northbound lanes were closed for several hours. Firefighters cleared the scene at 02:25 hours Sunday morning. Illinois State Police is investigating the cause of the accident.