Burn Ordinance No. 39-2016
In order to insure the health, safety and welfare of the general public, the City Council has voted to restrict the days that residents are allowed to burn landscape waste (i.e. leaves/tree limbs) in the corporate City limits.
Please keep in mind the following Burn Ordinance regulations:
- Landscape waste burning is only allowed on Fridays, Saturdays & Mondays between the hours of 8 am – 6 pm.
- The landscape burning must not be left unattended – and a water source must be nearby.
- Burning may not be conducted on City driving surfaces (roads), manhole covers, sidewalks, meter pits, storm drain inlets or any utility cover.
- NO form of garbage or construction materials or other household items may be burned at any time.
- Burning may not create a visibility hazard (excess smoke) on roadways, or near railroad tracks.
- All landscape waste burns must be out by 6 pm and must not be left smoldering.
- Only landscape waste generated on the property may be burned on the property.
Please refrain from burning on windy days - as embers from the fire will travel with the wind and
may cause fires that result in property loss to you or your neighbor.
If you questions or concerns please contact the Effingham Fire Department at 217-342-2555
Partners in Fire Prevention & Public Health and Safety