The Engineering Division maintains a history of the infrastructure within the City and oversees capital improvement projects. Mapping and GIS information is available for all City services, including streets, water lines, sanitary sewers, storm sewers and flood plains.
The Engineering Division staff review, prioritize and continually update long range planning for the resurfacing, sewer lining, street maintenance, and pre-treatment programs and also coordinates with the City Administration to budget from city funds and/or obtain state and federal funding for new construction and rehabilitation of infrastructure, as well as new infrastructure for economic development projects.
Other responsibilities include:
- Capital Improvement Budget
- Subdivision of property and site plan review
- Coordination with utility companies
- Oversee compliance with the City Comprehensive Plan
- Insure water/sewer IEPA permit compliance
- Review and update of water and sewer rates
- Investigate and respond to citizen concerns
- Provide technical assistance to Public Property, Street, Water and Sewer Divisions, Water Treatment Plant and Waste Water Treat Plant, including material procurement
- Assist Administration and City Council with planning and economic development