Welcome to our new website! Learn more

FAQ Topic: Property & housing

What building codes has the city adopted?

You can find a list of the construction rules and regulations enforced by the City of Effingham including building codes, fire codes, life safety codes, setbacks, and more.

How do I find out the setbacks for a property?

The setbacks for a property depend on the zoning and improvement you are wanting to make. You can view a table of the City’s setbacks, height, and area requirements. If you have questions about your setbacks or zoning, you can contact the Planning and Zoning division.

Do I need a building permit?

Most construction projects, remodels, and renovations require building permits so we can make sure the work is done safely. Learn about building and construction permits. Some projects don’t require a permit, but you still need to follow all building codes and regulations.

What are my tenant rights?

Your tenant rights as an Illinois resident can be found at Illinois Tenant Rights. Local housing laws can be found in Article VI of the City of Effingham Municipal Code.

How do I find out the zoning of a property?

The City’s interactive zoning map is online. You can also view the full zoning ordinance in our online municipal code. If you have questions about your zoning, you can contact the Planning and Zoning division. If you are a business looking for available properties contact our Economic Development department.

How do I pay my property taxes?

The County of Effingham bills and invoices property taxes in Effingham. You can search for your property and pay your bill online. You’ll need the original bill that you get in the mail. Call 217-342-6844 for more information.

Close window