Welcome to our new website! Learn more

FAQ Topic: Fire Department FAQs

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas which is formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When people are exposed to carbon monoxide gas, the carbon monoxide molecules will displace the oxygen in their bodies and lead to poisoning.

Do I need carbon monoxide detectors?

All vendors are required to have a working carbon monoxide detector. Cooking appliances, generators and vehicle exhaust can enter cooking areas and cause sickness from carbon monoxide poisoning.  A carbon monoxide detector is designed to alert people to the presence of an increased amount of carbon monoxide before it reaches a deadly level.

Do I need fire extinguishers?

All vendors need one (1) 10 lb ABC extinguisher for all events All grease-related cooking requires a Purple K or Class K extinguisher in addition to the above

Do I need a hood for my appliances?

Whether you need a hood or not depends upon which appliances you use. Contact us for specifications and requirements for your individual needs: Fire Prevention Division at 217-342-5300 extension 5365 Email Assistant Fire Chief Matthew Kulesza

When does my mobile food service establishment permit expire?

Approved permits are valid for one (1) year from date of approval.  You will receive a permit sticker which will expire at the end of 365 days. A renewal application and inspection will need to be completed for existing permits prior to the expiration date.  The process for renewal is the same as applying for … Continued

How long does the approval process take?

Depending on the workload of involved staff, a permit is generally issued within a few days after the inspection. Please allow at least a week to obtain an approval after your application has been submitted.

What types of inspections are required?

A full inspection of all the components of your mobile business will be conducted, including: Trailer Truck Tent Wagon All other features, to include, but not limited to: Cooking areas and appliances Fire extinguishers Carbon monoxide detectors No smoking signs Liquid propane tanks Piping

How do I schedule an inspection for my mobile food service establishment?

An inspection will need to be done either at Effingham Central Fire Station or at your location within the City of Effingham during the following times: Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (excluding holidays) The final inspection of the day will be scheduled no later than 3:00 p.m. Schedule an inspection with … Continued

How do I obtain a mobile food service establishment permit?

Go to apply for a mobile food service establishment permit to see full details of the application and permit process.  You can also contact: Fire Prevention Division at 217-342-5300 extension 5365 Email Assistant Fire Chief Matthew Kulesza

Close window