What is a City Treasurer?
The City Treasurer is an appointed officer of the City, and is the custodian of all funds belonging to the municipality.
- Keeps records that show a separate account for each fund or appropriation;
- The treasurer issues receipts for money received;
- Issues payments only on warrants or bonds duly signed by appropriate City authorities;
- Keeps separate accounts for taxes levied for a specific purpose, bond funds, and special assessment funds;
- Makes a monthly report, or issues reports more often if required by the City Council, showing the state of the treasury and its remaining balance as of the date of the report
For more information from the Illinois Compiled Statues, see Sec. 3.1-35-40: Treasurer - duties