We offer 2 types of building permits:
- Over-the-counter permits: simple permits you can usually get the same day.
- Permits that require plans and review: permits for larger or more complicated projects.
Some projects don't require a permit, but you still need to follow all building codes and regulations.
These are simple permits you can apply for in-person at City Hall. Usually, you will get your permit the same day. There is no application form for over-the-counter permits.
These include most types of:
- Electrical (except solar permits)
- Sewer tap
To get an over-the-counter permit:
- Visit the Building Official office at City Hall
- Make sure you have:
- Address of where the work will be done
- Property owner’s name
- Make sure the company doing the work is registered with the City
- Bring any plans or drawings
- Pay the permit fee by check, cash, or credit card
If plans and review are required
To get a building permit for most construction projects, we need to review your plans and application. Generally, you need to get a building permit if you do any of the following to a building or structure:
- Change of use (example: office space changing into retail)
- Move or remove
This also includes swimming pools. Depending on the project, you may also need to apply for plumbing, electrical, or sewer tap permits.