Before you start
- Complete a golf cart permit application
- Obtain liability insurance as required under 625 ILCS 5.0/7-601
- Sign liability waiver
- Equip golf cart with the following safety features
- Steering apparatus
- Seat belts for all occupants
- Rear-view mirror
- Brake lights on rear
- Turn signals on front and rear
- Child restraints (when appropriate)
- Red reflectorized warning device on front and rear
- Slow-moving emblem attached to rear
- Head lights on front
- Red tail lamp on rear
What to do
Golf cart inspections and processing golf cart permits is done Monday - Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M., excluding holidays.
Bring the following items with you to the Police Department:
- Driver's license
- Completed golf cart permit application
- Copy of liability insurance policy (with insured golf cart listed)
- Signed golf cart liability waiver
- Cash or check for the sticker fee (made out to Effingham Police Department)
- $50.00 regular permit fee
- $40.00 for applicants ages 62 years and older
- Golf cart, on a trailer (please schedule an inspection on the next page)
To serve you better, please complete all forms prior to arriving at the Police Department. All forms can be found at the bottom of this page.
You will be given a copy of all documents, which need to be kept on the golf cart along with your insurance card. You will receive an annual sticker which is valid through September 30th of each year. The registration sticker needs to be attached in a visible spot on the rear, passenger side of the golf cart.
Renewing a golf cart permit
A renewal application will need to be completed for existing permits which expire September 30th of each year. A renewal application may only be used if the golf cart has already been registered with Effingham Police Department the prior year and still has all required safety features installed.
No inspection is required for renewal permits.