2023-2024 renewal permits
Golf cart renewal permits for October 1, 2023 - September 30, 2024 are now being accepted.
To speed up the process, you can complete a renewal application and electronically submit the application and supporting documents. After you have submitted your online renewal, simply bring a check, money order, or cash to Effingham Police Department to receive your permit sticker. The permit is not valid until payment has been received and you have been given your 2023-2024 sticker.
A renewal application may only be used if the golf cart has already been registered with Effingham Police Department the prior year and still has all required safety features installed. A safety inspection for the golf cart is not required under the renewal application process.
Before you start
- Complete a renewal golf cart permit application
- Obtain liability insurance as required under 625 ILCS 5.0/7-601
- Sign liability waiver
- Check that golf cart is still equipped with the following safety features
- Steering apparatus
- Seat belts for all occupants
- Rear-view mirror
- Brake lights on rear
- Turn signals on front and rear
- Child restraints (when appropriate)
- Red reflectorized warning device on front and rear
- Slow-moving emblem attached to rear
- Head lights on front
- Red tail lamp on rear
What to do
We encourage you to electronically submit your renewal application to avoid longer wait times. Your application will not be approved until full payment is made and you have received your renewal sticker.
Gather the following documents:
- Completed golf cart renewal permit application
- Signed golf cart liability waiver
- Current copy of liability insurance policy
- Driver's license
- Cash or check for the sticker fee (made out to Effingham Police Department)
- $50.00 regular permit fee
- $40.00 for applicants ages 62 years and older
Submit your renewal in one of the following ways:
- Electronic submission, available any time:
- Submit the online renewal form found below
- Email us a copy of all the completed documents listed above
- If you are submitting your renewal application online or by email, you will need to bring a check, money order, or cash for the sticker fee to Effingham Police Department (after you submit your application online) during the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, to receive your sticker
- In person submission:
- Bring in all completed and signed documents listed above
- Bring cash or check payable to Effingham Police Department
All necessary renewal forms can be found at the bottom of this page.
You will be given a copy of all documents, which need to be kept in or on the golf cart along with your insurance card.
You will receive an annual sticker which is valid through September 30th of each year. The registration sticker needs to be attached in a visible spot on the rear, passenger side of the golf cart.